The City of Hawkesbury is a large area centered around the beautiful Hawkesbury River offering a wealth of activities and attractions including boating, camping, trails, wineries, heritage sites, and much more. Townships in the region include Bilpin, Ebenezer, Kurrajong, Pitt Town, Richmond, St Albans, Wilberforce, Windsor, and Wisemans Ferry. The major centres are Windsor, Richmond and North Richmond.
Sydney to Hawkesbury by Car
The fastest route is to take the M1, M2, M7 and turn off at Dean Park taking Richmond Road to Richmond. Another option is to turn off the M2 onto the A28 which takes you past Koala Park Sanctuary making for an interesting place to stop.
Journey Time: 56 min (64 km)
Sydney to Hawkesbury by Train
From Sydney, you can take the T1 train (Richmond via Parramatta) to Richmond Station.
Journey Time: 1 h 19 min and ticket cost from $6.89
Getting around the Hawkesbury
There are regular public buses and you can use the journey planner here with routes including
- 668 Windsor to Richmond via Wilberforce, Glossodia & North Richmond
- 669 Wilberforce to Sackville
- 671 Windsor to Riverstone via McGraths Hill
- 672 Windsor to Pitt Town & Wisemans Ferry via McGraths Hill
- 673 Windsor to Penrith via Bligh Park, Llandilo & Cranebrook
- 674 Windsor to Mt Druitt via Bligh Park, Shanes Park & Whalan
- 675C Windsor – RAAF -Richmond – UWS Hawkesbury – Bligh Park – Windsor
- 675A Windsor – Bligh Park – UWS Hawkesbury – Richmond – RAAF – Windsor
- 676 Windsor to South Windsor
- 677 Richmond to Penrith via Londonderry & The Northern Rds
- 678 Richmond to Penrith via Agnes Banks, Castlereagh & Cranebrook
- 679 Windsor to Maraylya & Oakville
- 680 Richmond to Bowen Mtn via Nth Richmond, Grose Wold & Grose Vale
- 682 Richmond to Kurrajong & Berambing via Nth Richmond & Kurmond
There are vehicle ferry services crossing the Hawkesbury being Wiseman’s Ferry (the oldest ferry service in Australia) and Webbs Creek ferry service. Information on their operation can be found here and here.
The Hawkesbury Paddlewheeler offers morning tea and lunch river cruises departing from Bridge St Windsor, see paddlewheeler.com.au